The developer told city staff it had sold no homes at Rockshire this year, experienced several cancellations, was evaluating an exit strategy and expected to take a loss on the residential portion.
A newly obtained and independently verified City of Rockville email confirms the central factual basis of Councilmember Adam Van Grack’s statement about the Rockshire Village redevelopment.
The email was provided to Moderately MOCO by a local resident, not by Van Grack, another elected official or anyone employed by the City of Rockville. The resident requested anonymity, but their identity is known to Moderately MOCO. We independently verified the correspondence as authentic before publication.
In a detailed response relayed by the City Manager’s Office, a senior EYA development executive said the company was “evaluating an exit strategy” for Rockshire, had not sold a home this year and could no longer justify financing vertical construction because the project “no longer pencils economically.”
The response also directly connected declining demand for the development to uncertainty surrounding Wootton High School.
What EYA Told Rockville
In the August 18 email, an official in the City Manager’s Office said that, after several inquiries, the city’s Community Planning and Development Services staff received the following response from a senior EYA development executive:
“At this point, we are evaluating an exit strategy for Rockshire. We have not sold a home this year and experienced several cancellations from the limited sales we had last year.”
The response then directly addressed Wootton’s importance to prospective buyers:
“The consistent feedback we’ve received from both purchasers and prospective purchasers is that Wootton was a primary driver of interest in the community, and the broader uncertainty created by DOGE-related activities has also had a significant impact on buyer demand.”
EYA told the city that it had lowered prices over the past year until its margins were minimal, but continued receiving the same feedback from the market.
“As a result, we are now pursuing the sale of the residential portion of the project to another builder and expect to take a loss,” the response stated.
EYA said the market currently appeared to support an all-townhome development better than the approved plan, which includes fewer units, higher-priced single-family detached homes and retail space.
“Given current demand, we have not been able to generate sufficient sales for that product type,” the company told the city.
The effects were not limited to home sales. According to EYA’s response, interest in the planned retail space “has declined dramatically since the Wootton discussions began.”
Most significantly, EYA told Rockville that it could not continue financing home construction under the project’s current economics:
“We are unable to deploy additional lender capital toward vertical construction on a project that no longer pencils economically.”
EYA said its focus was instead on completing land development work, reducing outstanding debt and positioning the property for a transition to another builder.
“Our hope is that a builder entering at a lower basis will be able to deliver homes at price points that are better aligned with today’s market and ultimately bring the project to a successful completion,” the response stated.
A Much Different Picture Than EYA’s Public Response
The city correspondence provides a substantially more complete picture than the statement EYA issued publicly following Van Grack’s announcement and our original report.
In a statement provided to The MoCo Show, EYA emphasized that it was negotiating with another homebuilder and said the Rockshire development had not been abandoned.
EYA said it would continue handling site improvements and the retail component, while the replacement builder would use the same residential plans and architectural designs. The company described itself as “fully committed to the long-term success” of the development.
That public statement explained what EYA hoped would happen next. It did not disclose why EYA was attempting to transfer the residential portion, that it expected to take a loss, that it had sold no homes this year, that it could not justify additional lender financing or that it had described its plans to the city as an “exit strategy.”
It also did not address Van Grack’s central claim that uncertainty surrounding Wootton had materially affected demand.
The two accounts are not technically mutually exclusive. EYA can be unable to continue residential construction itself while attempting to find another builder that might eventually complete the homes. But the possibility of a future transition does not erase the circumstances that led to it.
At the time of both statements, EYA had not publicly identified a replacement builder and acknowledged that negotiations were still underway. In its response to the city, EYA described successful completion by another builder as its “hope,” not as a finalized outcome.
Our Original Reporting Is Now Independently Supported
In our August 17 article, Moderately MOCO explicitly noted that we had not yet independently confirmed EYA’s reasoning with the developer.
Based on the verified city correspondence, we now can confirm that city staff received a response attributed to a senior EYA development executive stating that:
- EYA was evaluating an exit strategy for Rockshire.
- No homes had been sold this year.
- Several earlier sales had been canceled.
- Wootton was a primary driver of buyer interest.
- Retail interest had declined dramatically since the Wootton discussions began.
- EYA could not put additional lender capital into vertical construction.
- The company was pursuing a sale of the residential portion and expected to take a loss.
The response did not use the exact phrase “indefinitely suspended.” It did, however, state that EYA could not finance vertical construction under the project’s current economics and was seeking to exit the residential portion. That directly supports the core of Van Grack’s account.
The correspondence does not establish that the approved 60-home development is permanently dead. Another builder could purchase the residential portion and ultimately complete it. It does establish that EYA itself was unable to move forward as originally planned and that Wootton-related uncertainty was a significant part of the company’s explanation.
EYA also cited broader market conditions, DOGE-related uncertainty, pricing and the project’s mix of detached homes, townhomes and retail space. Wootton was therefore not presented as the only factor.
However, EYA explicitly described Wootton as a “primary driver” of interest and said retail demand had declined dramatically since the Wootton discussions began.
That connection came from EYA’s own response to the City of Rockville. It was not speculation by Van Grack.
What Happens Next
According to the City Manager’s Office, EYA can sell the property without receiving city approval. Any new builder would still be required to comply with the approved project plan and site plan, including the number and types of homes, the commercial and public-use spaces and parking requirements.
Any substantial change would require amended approvals from the Rockville Planning Commission, the Mayor and Council, or both. The normal public notice requirements would also apply.
City staff has requested regular updates from EYA regarding the development and any potential sale.
For now, another builder could still complete Rockshire. But the verified city correspondence makes the current situation clear: EYA told Rockville that the project no longer worked economically for the company, that it was pursuing an exit and that uncertainty surrounding Wootton had significantly damaged demand.
Moderately MOCO reached out to EYA for an official response to the newly obtained correspondence. We had not received a response as of publication and will update this article if one is provided.
Support local independent news for as little as $5 a month

Recent Posts
- EYA Told Rockville Wootton Was a “Primary Driver” of Rockshire Demand, Verified Email Shows
- THE MANSION AT STRATHMORE ANNOUNCES
- Stop the Spend Charter Amendment Falls Short, Will Not Appear on Ballot
- Rockshire Village Redevelopment Suspended After Wootton Closure Vote, Van Grack Says
- Coast Guard Launches 2026 National Boating Safety Survey in Montgomery County
